Saturday, February 07, 2015

Annerley - Queensland - Australia - Home to Refugees




Refugees in Australia - "On the way to the bus the next day, I reflected on these families who could never go home. Unlike me, their survival required them to make a place in this new culture thousands of miles from where their families lived for centuries. We were to varying degrees refugees from the violence of the greater world. However, my childhood, rife with domestic violence was in no way as dangerous as their lives in war. Nonetheless, we did have enough similar experiences to allow me to identify with them although I could never imagine the terror of their former lives.
Meeting the Sudanese moms entailed crossing roads on which traffic sped on the left side of the road, the opposite direction from traffic in America. Crossing the street might seem easy regardless of the culture, but I grew old in California where pedestrians had the right of way, which made crossing Brisbane streets potentially lethal. "


Smashwords, Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Scrbd, Flipcart, Apple