Sunday, March 09, 2014

Powells - At the Center of Portland


Oh, my! 
web addy:  http://www.powells.com
I am enroute to Australia and had two hours to spend in downtown Portland, Oregon, where my Amtrak train left me late yesterday afternoon.  In a few hours I'll reboard the Coast Starlight and head south to California.
In the meantime, I walked in the rain over to the world's largest bookstore: Powell's Books.

These photos do NOT do the store justice. Powells is so big they have their own parking garage as part of their downtown Portland block square building.

Well, if you know me, you know I did not spend two hours in the store.  Overwhelming is the only term I can think of to describe the variety, the call of the book, the plethora of titles, the countries represented by those titles, the topics on which Powells has books, and the ages of the volumes.  One can find a title from 1879 and a title from 2014.  Of course, everything in between.  

I just wanted to buy, buy, buy.  I could have easily spent my entire March salary on books, every one of which would have been on my 'have to' read list.

My heart sings when I introduce it to such ambiance.  I am suddenly considering moving to Portland just so I can stop in Powells for an espresso and a new/old book to read whenever it suits.  I have just discovered what heaven would look like for me.  Right there in downtown, kind sprinkling rain Portland.

The next best possibility is that I can take the Amtrak train from Stanley North Dakota, fifty miles from my home to Portland where Powells is a half mile from the train station.  I could read on the way there and my way home.

And beside that, because Susanne and Bill introduced me to Jakes...I can also have a delicious seafood meal while I'm in town.  "The Cities" takes on new meaning for me...if you're from Nordacotah, you understand what that means! :)

So, what did I buy.  Three books on flying and World War II for hubby. One really apt adventure thriller mystery for him, and  The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao for me to take on the train in a bit.

Best of all, I didn't spend my entire salary. The whole set of books and the postage to send four of them back to the prairie cost only $37.00....several were used, you see!

Ok, so today is a wonderment and I just had to share it with you all.