Saturday, June 29, 2013

Charlotte's Web Offers Writers Some Excellent Advice

 Ms Otter has some excellent advice for all of us who share our written words with some sort of public.  Take a look below at the intro to her web post and then click on the addy to her blog to read what else she has to offer.  Makes sense to me.

Seven Stages of Receiving Critiques

I’m at the stage with my novel where I’m leaking chapters to a few trusted readers. Some are real-life friends and others are friends from my online forum. The forum has a rule that the only correct response to a critique is ‘thank you’. This is absolutely true. Another rule is that as writers we have to grow a hide as thick as a rhino’s because after the beta readers (if we hit the next stage), we will have to face critiques from agents and publishers. The idea is: get used to it!
Having kept this novel to myself for the past two years, it has been a swift growing-up process for me learning to put it out there in front of others. At times it’s felt like placing a baby in front of sharp-shooters and saying, ‘Duck, my darling.’ Baby grows a thick skin fast.
Even if the only correct response to a critique is thank you, and even if the critiquer is absolutely right, facing criticism is very much like the seven stages of grief:

http://charlotteotter.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/seven-stages-of-receiving-critiques/