Sunday, May 05, 2013

Capricornia - Latitude 23.5 degrees South of the Equator


You may recall that May is Short Story month.  Here are the first few lines of short story #1

– Capricornia –



Eleven weeks after returning to Australia my visa was about to expire.  Gerald, the rational member of our relationship, suggested I apply for an extension.

Explaining to Immigration that I had only scratched the surface of this massive continent encouraged them to grant me three more months to explore. That same night, I awoke in the midst of shivers from a nightmare about the previous blustery Brisbane winter. It was May; autumn was turning cool.

Over breakfast, I urged Gerald to install veranda doors to stop the cold westerlies blowing into the house from the centre of the continent. Quickly, I learned to be a consummate fire-starter.  The lounge  and it's huge glass fronted fire place re-incarnated from wind tunnel into a snug space in which to read or chat.

By the time the Australian finished working as gaffer on George of the Jungle II at the Gold Coast studios, my travel bug snuck out of hibernation. 'Gerald, you mentioned Heron Island. Can we go?'