Friday, April 05, 2013

Prologue


 


I was born just before Pearl Harbor in the city that Buick built; my parents called me Demeter.

My father enlisted in the army by the end of the next week. My mother metamorphosed into Rosie the Riveter.  She moved to Ypsilanti to build B-52s seventy-five miles from where I lived.

Because it was wartime, rubber for tires and gasoline for automobiles were scarce. Mother came seldom to the home of my caretaker, grandmotherly Ada Petite. Abandonment became my issue.

When I turned thirty, I enlisted in group therapy. I had a long list of complaints against the War and my parents. Through the work of Carl Jung I came to realize a new association with Demeter; the Greek goddess of the harvest, the mother whose child, Persephone, was abducted and taken to an underground darkness.  I created for myself a new understanding of the Demeter/Persephone relationship.

I came to understand that Demi wasn’t looking for her daughter, lost in the underworld. Demi was looking for her ‘inner child’, the soul lost in the midst of war, parental neglect, alienation, and alcoholism.

Wait a While is my story!