Sunday, January 06, 2013

Twenty Obsolete words - Shoud They Make a Comeback?


 http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-obsolete-english-words-that-should-make-a-comeback/#bdWR85z8YdZk0luo.99 

I loved this blog entry and thought you might also enjoy.  I've included the couple of words that struck me as most useful and pasted them below.  If you are interested in finding out what the other sixteen are, check out the blog addy above.  Oh, and above all else — enjoy.  Conversations about language have the potential to be most entertaining.

* * *

 Malagrugrous
Adj. – “Dismal” – This adjective is from Scots and may be derived from an old Irish word that refers to the wrinkling of one’s brow. An 1826 example of its use is “He looketh malagrugorous and world-wearied.” I’m tempted to also make the word into a noun: “Stop being such a malagrug!”
Brabble
Verb – “To quarrel about trifles; esp. to quarrel noisily, brawl, squabble” – Brabble basically means to argue loudly about something that doesn’t really matter, as in “Why are we still brabbling about who left the dirty spoon on the kitchen table?” You can also use it as a noun: “Stop that ridiculous brabble and do something useful!”
Freck
Verb intr. – “To move swiftly or nimbly” – I can think of a lot of ways to use this one, like “I hate it when I’m frecking through the airport and other people are going so slow.”