Saturday, October 27, 2012

Us vs. Them

Guess I have to admit that this is how I divide up the world and just recently I have been faulted for my divisiveness.  Not quite sure how to respond.  Have to admit who I am.  Not sure I want to change.  I don't see the world in black and white, but I do see the world from the point of view of those who are willing to take part in community, to put the good of the whole before the needs of the one.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't expect you to go without food or shelter so that another can have both.  I don't expect you to give up your bed or your last warm jacket on a cold night.  But, I do expect each of us to give what we can, not to hold onto undue amounts of goods at the expense of others who have none.

I do believe that those who by wit or inheritance or hard work have accumulated a living circumstance that is far and away above those of another who has been less wise, less lucky in parentage, or inability or inclination to work as hard ought to share a bit of their wealth so that all may live, perhaps meagerly, but live with less hardship.

I think of the jews who actively in Concentration Camps worked with the Nazii comanders to prey on the lives of other jews who could not care for themselves.  What kind of individuals are those folks?  I don't understand their inclination for survival that they would destroy others who like themselves are discriminated against in order to live a bit longer, eat an extra piece of bread, or pull a cover over their bodies in the midst of winter.

I do understand the intrinsic desire to survive, but I wonder about those of us who survive at the expense of others.  I am surely confused about the human condition in these terms. 

I think those who prey are wrong.  I think those who use others to further their own prospects are evil. I have no desire to pretend that life is a 'fair' or 'even' battle. That another's position on this issue is acceptable.