Monday, February 20, 2012

Around and Around and Around Amerika

It's hard to come home. So much changes every time I leave my native shores. I'm not so sure the country itself changes. More like I change and find it more and more difficult to cope with the fear, resentment, and control that is the American ambiance.

In Oz I have a sense of security that simply disappears as soon as I cross the border into California, which is one of the more relaxed states in the 50 that make up this country.

I actually sat with people in discussion this morning who claim to love their country and want to destroy China because in some corner of their minds China threatens the stability of their own country. I feel such sadness upon hearing such phobia mixed with the arrogance that sometimes manifests as the American way of being on the planet.

In fact, the primary feeling is simply one of embarrassment that folks whom I love feel this way.

And then to add injury to insult, (I know that's backwards) when I tried to check into my motel tonight, I was told that unless I had government issued identification, I could not check in. I asked 'What if I have no a driver's license?'

'Passport will do.'

'No passport?'

'Any government issued identification is ok. But without that identification, you cannot check in.'

I'm still fuming. What kind of country is this? What kind of freedom do we have in this fascist ambiance?

Not much...not much at all.

And so, I am about to flee the 9 million folks who live in this 'land of opportunity'..and head south and then north to a place where my friends all know someone and they can vouch for me if I don't have my identification in my wallet on any given day..

I so wish I were south..way south..where identification is not necessary to live and love in the city.