Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mis communication

The world is rife with misunderstandings and it is entirely possible that we are not responsible for much of it. That is to say, living in various cultures causes citizens of the world to use language in a various ways that seem to be similar but which, indeed, often convey very different meaning.

The Aussie and I had an amazing laugh session this morning as we read and discussed how very true each of the items tends to be.

I encourage you to take a look. worth a good laugh if nothing else.

Those of you who live in trans cultural homes will understand immediately. The rest of you might take ten seconds to come to a full realization.

All of which reminds me of these two quotes:

In short, how much do we subconsciously ignore, simply because we are conditioned *not* to see it? (Fnord)

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Robert McCloskey