Monday, February 08, 2010

Air New Zealand - 2010 Airline of the Year

My favourite airline has just won the 2010 Airline of the year award.

I can't think of a group of folks who are more deserving.

There are days when I kinda wish the Aussie was a Kiwi just so I could claim this courteous, funny, warm, and talented crew of folks as belonging to my adopted homeland.

If you click on the title to this post, you will go to the little video about the award. It made me cry.

I can only echo what each of the commentators has to say. My admiration for the Kiwis start with the Chief Accountant of the airlines, whom I met on a flight 8 years ago because he was sitting next to me and I couldn't figure out how to make my seat do the collapse into an almost bed thingy. We sat and discussed airline politics, Kiwi sports - that would be The All Blacks, good wine, better cream, and possum-wool neck scarves far into the flight.

I determined never to fly another airline soon thereafter. The thoughtful, comfortable atmosphere in the airport, the instant comraderie effectively make long distance travel a tad easier.

The wise forethought of this airline has produced a new idea in economy travel. Check it out; they now have ways for the seats on the side aisles to break down into a bed for two at an affordable price in their transpacific flights. Long before the Peking Olympics, Air New Zealand included Chinese in their cabin and ground crews. Sitting waiting for a flight, it was great entertainment to watch and listen as the new Chinese ground crew practiced their English in the San Francisco and Auckland airports.

Air New Zealand brought the Aussie to me that 4th of July 2000. We've been loyal members of their flight family ever since.

Try em! You'll like em!!