Monday, December 28, 2009

Ten Years!

I arrived for the first time in Australia on 27 December ten years ago. As I was just sitting on the back veranda, comfy on the teak lounge watching the birds flit from branch to branch, watching the summer breeze act like a marionette master moving the tendrils of ten story high fig wilderness, I remembered my arrival here in this historical, hysterical household to spend ten days of Christmas.

What a wonderment. This Victorian house on stilts has become my home; my haven, my mysterious castle; the place where I have learned what it means to be an ex-pat, where I have learned what it means to be married to an Aussie bloke, what it means to be a citizen of the world.

Perhaps a glass of Chandon tonight to celebrate! Only the goddess knows what life has in store for us. Certainly we do not. Certainly the adventure is worth the risk.

May your New Year's celebration be as blessed as ours.