Saturday, October 31, 2009

Finding a Literary Agent -

First off, let me assure you that writing a full length manuscript of any sort is a major commitment to just plain old hard work.

Secondly, let me assure you that once you have spent three years producing a well written, thoughtful, entertaining piece of literature, you have only agony staring you in the face until you find an agent and finally a publisher for that story.

I know, I know! Folks really do self publish. However, the vast majority of folks who self publish spend a minimum of $5000 of their own money to have their manuscript printed and then, oh yes, and then they have to figure out a way to market the finished product without the aide of professionals. Statistics indicate that fewer than 1% of self published authors actually sell more than one hundred of their manuscripts.


The publishing business is skewed in favour of corporations! So, what's new? Who would have thought otherwise.

Since the Aussie bloke and I will be spending the next three weeks here in the sometimes overcast and always cool prairie and since it's too cold outside to continue painting the trim on the house, I have set myself a goal - find an American agent!

To that effect, I have recently submitted in hard copy or on line (depending on the requirements of various agents) over eighteen non-fiction book proposals. I have only a thousand more to go! :) Smile! - that's not an exaggeration.

Fortunately, for those of us who are struggling with this process there are several web sites currently available to lessen the struggle. Let me introduce you to WordHustler.com

If you click on the title to this blog post, you will go directly to this amazing site which has been so helpful in my attempt to reach my goal this past week. I actually love these guys and gals! For a pittance, they have my best interests at heart - unlike the publishing industry itself which is certain that I do NOT deserve to have my words in print under their label (at least so far).

I have not given up; I am simply more determined than ever to find the right agent to work with me so that together we can share with 'boomer women' the joys of love relationships after 40!



Thanks.