Tuesday, December 30, 2008

5:30 a.m.

Yep; the New Year is still a couple of days off, but we've begun our resolution just a tad early.

For the last two days - and one day four days ago - we struggled out of bed at 5:30 in the morning, just before the Kookaburra laughed his silly head off, slurped a huge glass of water, changed into runners, shorts, and a t-top, wrapped a rag around the forehead to soak up the sweat, grabbed my two trekking poles, and headed off for the Kolgun.

The first day, my sunnies from America fogged up so badly that I couldn't see the rocks littering the path. But, the second day, my regular dark glasses tied onto my head so they wouldn't slip down my sweaty nose fared a bit better. I wore a hat the first day; the the gum tree forest was enough to keep the sun off my cheek and shoulders.

In Oz, it is unwise for oldies to wander around in the sunshine. Skin cancer aided by the southern hemisphere sun is rampant.

But, it feels good to have exercised and then to come home for a cool shower, and slip into a spaghetti top, short shorts, and wander barefoot around the pine floors of our colonial. It is warm, warmer than I like, but if there should be a breeze, our open windows usher it into my office on the third story above the newly red leafed mango tree. It may not cool me down, but it will evaporate a little of the glowing on my nose and forehead.

Welcome to summer! Forecasters are predicting scorch! which probably means afternoon thunder and lightening showers like the one that caused us to turn off the tv set and all the computers last night.