Thursday, August 03, 2006

Body effluents and love

It is 7:18 am which means around 2 pm California time..the sun has snuck out from behind the palm trees in the back garden. Therefore, the black parasol sits over my computer screen to block it's direct ray into my eyes..the opthamologist indicated that the small cataract in my left eye is in all likelihood a radiation issue..too much sun..so I am being good about blocking direct contact with that most wonderful orb hanging out there over the ocean and above my computer screen. I know..I ought to change the spot on my desk where my puter screen sits..but that entails leaning to the right rather than to the left..and ya know..I'm in Oz..leftest is bestest...:)

My throat is still full of snot..ugh! I do wish this cold would go away..cough, cough, cough..I'm beginning to feel like a perpetual snot machine..

Nothing new to report here...so just some thoughts of you come from down under..

The Rumi poem came to me in an email..I have Essential Rumi on my book shelf..on the outside where I can grab it when I feel like a little lift..you know..he was madly in love when he wrote all that poetry in the 13th century...seems to me that proves that the human condition hasn't much changed in the last 900 years..or so..angst, angst and more angst...

Jelaluddin Rumi,
translated by Coleman Barks in his book *Essential Rumi*

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

It's just the process..from high to low and then at a spark of recognition from the loved other.. the high returns..And so what is important in life?? not money, not food, not power, but the recognition by another whom we admire and love that we, too, are loveable..Isn't that really grand?..we can be aboriginal traveling across the red interior with no clothes on, no shoes, nothing but a water bottle and a spear and some kind of fire starter..and be happy because there is another entity in our space who recognizes the unique contribution we make to their world...

All the rest is simply decoration..flimsy and unimportant except as a screen behind which to hide our neediness to be accepted, loved, and cuddled...

So, I guess we may as well simply enjoy the process..even the angst part of it..

Simple stuff really makes my day..

I have been encouraged to wait until my lungs are working properly again before I resume my walk on Mt. Cooth-tha..but the wait is driving me nutso....I saw a hopper over there two days ago..He was browsing near the trail and when he heard me, hopped off across the canyon floor to a spot about 40 yards away..and stopped to look at me through the tall grasses..made my day!...the hard part of my walk..a hundred yard very, very steep uphill gives me energy to accomplish whatever tasks need doing upon my return..my heart sings as it pumps faster on that uphill..and the sweat of my brow..captured in my red bandana on my forehead..reminds me that all the gunk collected in the first part of the day has wrung itself out of me..and can be left in the wash later in the day when I dump my wet work out clothes in the wash..