Wednesday, June 07, 2006

San Jose on Sunday

Back in the U.S.A.

A long haul, the sleepy sojourn across the Pacific, but Air New Zealand brought me home once again. Home - strange word, isn't it? Am currently staying with my son in San Jose and will travel to southern California for a turn around trip on Wednesday. I no longer have an American home.

Just read an article in Salon.com on "Mockingbird: the story of Harper Lee". Great article. Isn't it amazing that Lee produced only that one novel - a masterpiece. I'm not sure if it made Gregory Peck or if he made the movie - thus the book. Whichever, I have been curious about Harper Lee ever since I took the time to watch Capote, one of my least favorite American authors.

But, since I am in the midst of a thesis on creative non-fiction and since the two of them, Lee and Capote, created the most famous first creative non-fiction novel, I needed to see the movie. I read the book forever ago and had absolutely no desire to go back and read it again. I would read 'To Kill a Mockingbird" again though..no worries. As soon as I finish the women of the travel world with whom I am currently spending the majority of my waking hours. One of the good parts of flying for sixteen hours across the Pacific is that time can be devoted to reading travel memoirs..a perfect way to speed on one's way.

so..World..I am aware that Americans are NOT watching the news..that as I suspected, they have no interest in discovering what havoc their government has developed as a daily diet for the rest of the world - but I do know that a southeastern American hockey team won the first game of the Stanley Cup Finals...so there!