Thursday, September 15, 2005

Cloudy skies and bird song

Why does my whole world begin with the weather? Today, for instance, the cloud cover almost dissipated as the sun courageously broke through for a couple of hours this morning and then lost the battle for the skies and retreated behind the marine layer.

I realize that some studies have been done about the effect of certain types of weather conditions affecting the mood and energy levels of humans, but this is ridiculous. Here it is 11:30 on a perfectly fine Wednesday morning and I have not yet made the bed nor showered and dressed. Sitting here in my ratty but comfy robe and bedclothes, with my sloppy red larger than life slippers, I am totally comfortable to do absolutely nothng but play snood or solitarie on my computer.

Now, if it were one of those fantastic spring days full of sunshine and only 35% humidity, I would be out to Mt. Cooth-tha walking the tracks already or in the garden picking up the palm nuts the fruit bats knocked down in their feeding frenzy last night.

Fortunately, the weather seems to have less influence on the Butcher Bird in whose territory I live. Although I must say I didn't hear my favorite Kookaburra family chuckling the dawn into submission this morning. Probably, because of the cloud cover I was just far too deeply asleep and didn't hear them. Certainly some Kookaburra conclave somewhere in Oz raises the dawn each day. One wonders if the darkness would actually turn to daylight without the chortling of those happy birds.

Like the larks of Europe, they are harbingers of the lightness that allows us all to exist. How they must have suffered when gigantic volcanoes spewed forth enough detrius to block the sun in the southern hemisphere in day sof yore. We are fortunate that they did not forget their songs during that long and dreary winter.

Well, so much for gringing. Time to meet the day. I have class today. And the joy of that experience is that I am allowed because I pay the big bucks to the University, to sit with young and fertile minds for two hours twice a week to see how youthful Australia thinks and problem solves. They are a great gift to the planet, these young minds!